Home Page

Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway

 

2-2-2 Tender Locomotive No 23 order No. 66 works No 22 supplied in 1856

Order No.66 was for six 4'-8½" gauge 2-2-2 tender locomotives works progressive Nos. 21 - 26 supplied in 1856 for passenger use on the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway numbered 21, 23, 42, 43, 56 & 57. In 1862 renumbered 82 - 87. In 1865 under North British Railway renumbered 213 - 218 . In 1880 named Polmont, Lenzie, Newcastle, Dullatur, Castlecary, & Winchburgh. In 1895 renumbered again 803 - 808. Taken out of service and scrapped 1905 - 1912.

The driving wheels were 6'-6" in diameter and the internal cylinders 16" dia x 20" stroke with a boiler pressure of 140 psi. The design became a standard and a similar engine was supplied to the 5'-5.75" gauge South Eastern Railways of Portugal order No. 629 named "D.Luiz" which was exhibited at the 1862 Paris Exposition.

A further three orders followed for a further 18 locomotives. The largest order, order No. 380 was for 12 0-4-2 tender locomotives supplied 1859 - 1862.

Information provided by Joe Lloyd