The Rhodesia Railway Co. Ltd.
was the name from 1899 of what had been the Bechuanaland Rly
formed 6 years earlier. Beira Rly Co. was formed in 1892 and
three years later that became the Beira Junction Rly Co., whilst
in 1897 the Mashonaland Rly was formed and took over the Beira
Jn Rly in 1900 to become the Beira & Mashonaland Rly Co.
Ltd. Meanwhile, in 1899 we see for the first time the title RHODESIA
RAILWAY CO. LTD, a renaming of the Bechuanaland Rly. As if that
wasnt enough name swapping, the BMR merged with the RR
in 1903, with an even longer title - The Beira & Mashonaland
and Rhodesia Railways Co. Ltd.
In 1908 another company was formed - the Rhodesia - Katanga Junction
Rly Co. That longest of titles went in 1927 when Rhodesia Railways
Co.Ltd became the working company as successor to the BMR &
RR Co., and the following year the RKJR became part of RR. In
1947 the Rhodesia Government took over the RRs assets.
Beyer Peacock supplied the
RR with a total of 236 locomotives, all except the first 6 in
1915 (Class 9, 4-8-0 Goods Engines of a design earlier,and also
later, built bythe North British Loco. Co.) were Garratts. They
2-6-2+ 2-6-2 Class 13 ...12
Class 14 ....6 1928 and 10 in 1929
Class 14A ..18 1953
2-8-2+ 2-8-2 Class 16 ....8 1929 and 12 in 1938
Class 18 ....9 out of a War Department order in 1943/4 - these
being additional to the directly - purchased 236.
Class 16A ..30 supplied 1952/3
4-6-4+ 4-6-4 Class 15 ....4 1940 and 30 1947-1949
Class 15A...30 1949/1950 and 10 in 1952
4-8-2+ 2-8-4 Class 20 & 20A 61 supplied 1954 and 1957/8
Having been brought together
in bits, in 1967 the RR system was to be broken up
among the newlynamed countries in that part of East Africa
- Zimbabwe Rlys (ex Southern Rhodesia); Zambia Rlys (Northern
Rhodesia); Botswana Rlys (Bechuanaland)whilst earlier, in 1949
Mozambique Rlys had taken over what was known as the Beira Railway
section of the RR.
Along with South African Railways'
standard gauge lines, the RR was 3'6" gauge, whereas the
two railways that came together in 1948 on the amalgamation of
the Tanganyika Rly and the Kenya and Uganda Rly, were Metre gauge.
The TR had 6 4-8-0 Goods Engines from BP in 1923, the only others
were 3 Beyer Garratts in 1931 that were 4-8-2 + 2-8-4s. The KURs
orders with BP were all for Beyer Garratts, 4-8-2 + 2-8-4s 4
in 1926, 12 in 1928 & 2 in 1930 (they also received some
War Department engines in this wheel arrangement in 1944/5);
and their 4-8-4 + 4-8-4s numbered 12, in 1939/1940. The East
African Railways & Harbours Board bought 81 Beyer Garratts
from BP between 1949 and 1955, 18 of which had been pre-amalgamation
ordered by the KUR (4-8-4 + 4-8-4s) all the rest being 4-8-2
+ 2-8-4s : 29 60 Class in 1953/4 and 34 59
Class in 1955. The EAR then came to be split up between the countries
through which the railway passed.