Order No. 9954 was for two
2'-0" gauge 0-4-0 + 0-4-0 compound Garratt locomotives works
progressive Nos. 5292 & 5293 supplied in 1909 for use on
the North East Dudas Tramway referred to as K 1 & 2. The
tramway closed in 1930 and the two engines were left standing
in the engine shed at Zeehan. In 1947 K1 was brought back to
the UK by Beyer Peacock and was kept at Gorton until the firm
closed in 1966.
The driving wheels were 2'-7½"
in diameter and the outside cylinders 11" dia x 16"
stroke & 17" dia x 16" stroke with a boiler pressure
of 195 psi.
In 1966 K1 was bought by the
Festiniog Railway and displayed for several years at Harbour
Station, Porthmadog. The engine, without drastic alterations,
was too large for use on the Festiniog Railway and was moved
to the National Railway Museum at York. In April 1995 K1 was
moved to North Wales and made some publicity appearances in support
of the re-opening of the Welsh Highland Railway which originally
ran from Carnarfon through Beddgelert to Porthmadog. Shortly
after the re-opening of the Dinas to Carnarfon section K1 was
on the move again this time for restoration at Tyseley, the base
of the Birmingham Railway Museum & Locomotive Works. During
the restoration it became apparent that K1 incorporated some
of K2's parts. An interesting discovery considering that K2 had
been sold for scrap. The restored engine is scheduled to return
to the WHR in 2003.